Sunday, October 2, 2011

5 Days In

Hey I broke the one post barrier that most blogs seem to stop at. よかった、I guess. :P

I've actually been doing it! I've studied kanji or vocabulary every day so far, some days for hours at a time. I'm actually trying to cut back a little bit, so I won't burn myself out. I've been using the first chapter of Heisig's Remembering the Kanji that is posted online to make flashcards, and after seeing how fast I've picked up some very complicated characters, I don't think that I can't buy it. I also got my droid phone replaced, so I'm now using AnkiDroid again, which is a super useful flashcard app. I just got a kanji book and a verb usage book in the mail today, but I'm probably going to order RTK in the next few days as well. Once I get that one I should be good for a while. O_o

I set a goal for myself on September 30th, 2011 at 5:33PM. One year from then I will know all ~2000 of the Joyo kanji, and I will still be doing my flashcard reps every day. I hope to be well on my way to fluency and native level proficiency.

One interesting technique that I learned online a few days ago is this. Make it easy for yourself to study. If you can, make it easier for yourself to study than to not study. For example, put only Japanese books or textbooks in your bag. Put only Japanese language podcasts on your iPod. Make it so Anki starts up with your computer. Set your homepage to the RTK site. Just a little bit of planning can make it so much easier to get over the first hill of actually starting to do the studying on every new day.

Anyways, I'll post another status update in a few days. I'll include some of the things I'm learning next time. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment